The Saatva Classic mattress may be one of the best out there, but did you know many others have most, if not all, of the traits it has? The mattress market is highly competitive. There are tons of bed specialist companies producing the best mattresses they can offer. Some of them even go above and beyond to make one that can accommodate all sleepers, regardless of their needs or preferences. They might not realize that not all mattresses are suitable for everyone.
When choosing the right mattress, it is important to make an informed decision. Although the Saatva is well-known for its bounciness and pressure relief, are you sure it’s right for you? Today we will compare the Saatva Classic to four top mattresses. In the end, we’ll help you decide whether or not it’s still your best option.
For those of you who prefer a more visual experience, here is a video review from GetGreenBeWell’s YouTube channel. To get a comprehensive overview of Saatva Mattress, you may still want to check out our article below.
Overview: The Saatva Classic Mattress
The Saatva Classic mattress, named after the high-end mattress specialist, is the best-selling luxury mattress in America and a top choice overall. Its exceptional relief in the lumbar area, including the neck and back, is one of its main selling points. Packed within the foundations of the mattress is a hybrid poly/memory foam strategically placed at the center designed to provide much-needed support, especially for those who sleep on the back. The Saatva Classic is also a popular choice for stomach sleepers, as it provides comfort and support.
The Saatva has excellent cooling capabilities thanks to how the coils are designed. The mattress has two innerspring layers, one for support and the other as a foundation layer. This allows for air circulation to the mattress which helps keep the body cool when it is asleep. The spring coils respond to changing movements and are a great choice for couples who frequently change their sleeping positions or for couples looking for intimate moments. The Saatva Classic comes in multiple firmnesses ranging from Plush Soft to Firm, with a mid-tier comfort level in between (Luxury Firm), as well as multiple sizes.
Who Should Get the Saatva Classic Mattress?
- Those who usually sleep lying flat on their stomach or back
- Combination sleepers, who frequently change their positions
- Those who sleep in hot temperatures – the mattress has enough airflow to cool them
- Couples looking for a mattress that isn’t too firm at the edges
- People looking for a bed that is comfortable during sex will be happy with a bed that performs well.
- People who want a firmer, more durable mattress.
We’ve given you an overview of the Saatva Classic. Now let’s look at the four other mattress companies and the best-selling products. Each one will be compared, highlighting similarities and key differences. The four companies we will be focusing on in this article are Sleep Number with their 360 p5 Mattress, Tempur-Pedic’s popular TEMPUR-Cloud, DreamCloud’s namesake Classic Mattress, and Purple with their highly innovative flagship mattress. Without anything else to obstruct our way, let’s start with Sleep Number!
Saatva vs. Sleep Number
Sleep Number is known for its wide range of adjustable air mattresses equipped with high-end features. With just a simple touch, sleepers can adjust the firmness or support level to suit their needs. Sleep Number has been in business for more than 30 years. While other specialty mattress companies have been around for much shorter, Sleep Number already knows a thing or two about how to provide a comfortable yet flexible experience to the sleeper. Sleep Number’s popular product is the 360 p5 mattress from the Performance series.
The Sleep Number 360 p5 Mattress works exceptionally well for flat sleepers, just like the Saatva. It is partly due to the construction of the mattress. Multiple foam layers are stacked on top, providing much-needed pressure relief. This also helps in easing varying pains in the body’s lumbar region, including the back.
The 360 p5 doesn’t come in a big box. Similar to the Saatva, white-glove technicians carry the mattress to your home, so there are no issues with off-gassing.
The 360 p5 is constructed differently – we’re talking about an adjustable airbed here – which explains why it’s understandably much pricier than the Saatva. Memory foam is also included, which traps heat and makes the mattress more responsive to constant movement. Despite its cons, the 360 p5 has better motion absorption than Saatva. This is great for couples or individuals who don’t want to be disturbed.
Who should get the Sleep Number 360 p5 mattress?
- Sleepers on the stomach and back
- Those who may have varying back pain issues
- Individuals looking for a mattress with adjustable firmness and relief levels
- Those who do not like to be disturbed as they sleep
Saatva vs. Tempur-Pedic
Tempur-Pedic has been recognized over the years for its memory foam mattresses made to provide better comfortability and relief. Although the company has only recently added innerspring hybrids to their product line, it is clear that they are experts in this field. TempurPedic mattresses are a common choice when you visit a mattress shop to find the best memory foam mattress. There are many options, but this article will focus on the TEMPUR Cloud, their most popular product.
The TEMPUR Cloud and Saatva Classic mattresses are well-respected, with glowing reviews about their reliability. Both mattresses are made from high-quality materials, which ensures that sleepers have a restful and comfortable night. The TEMPUR Cloud is a great option for people who sleep on their backs. It provides enough pressure relief and support that the spine remains intact.
The TEMPUR-Cloud mattress may provide luxury-grade back relief the same way as the Saatva, but it’s more expensive. It’s an all foam mattress that is made of high-performing materials. Expect it to be more expensive than the Saatva’s $912.
Being a memory foam mattress, the TEMPUR-Cloud should have a softer firmness level. Side sleepers will love the excellent body contouring that it offers. While it may sound positive, take note that this mattress will most likely be prone to sinkage, which may cause restrictions in movement, especially among heavy-weighted sleepers.
Who should get the Tempurpedic TEMPUR Cloud Mattress?
- Those who prefer sleeping on memory foam
- Side and back sleepers can enjoy contouring and soft pressure relief.
- Individuals and couples looking for a mattress where one of them is not easily disturbed by sudden movements
- Sleepers who are light- to medium-weight
Saatva vs. DreamCloud
DreamCloud, like Saatva is a direct to consumer company that sells luxury mattresses. It seems that DreamCloud would be an ideal fit for million-dollar homes and hotels. In the same light, its products are innerspring variants made up of materials that exceed industry standards. The DreamCloud Classic is one of the company’s most popular products, with a performance that’s similar to the Saatva Classic. While we can appreciate that we’ve found our closest competitor yet, there are quite plenty of differences that make the DreamCloud Classic stand out from the Saatva mattress!
The innerspring coils in the DreamCloud as well as Saatva provide reliable, strong support. Each has pocketed coils on top of the foundation layer, providing the body with not just the support it needs, but also cooling capabilities to keep itself from getting too hot. Both mattresses are firm enough to prevent any sagging from the center to the edges, yet comfortable for anyone to sleep in. They are extremely durable and will last for many years.
DreamCloud is a hybrid because the top layers of memory foam are prominent. This is its key difference. It has only one standard firmness option – if we rank the firmness rating from 1 to 10, it would be a solid 7. It may be supportive enough for average- to heavyweight sleepers, but a bit stiff for lighter-weights.
One thing worth mentioning is that there is a Premier upgrade, which has a much-improved comfort level thanks to the additional memory foam content. Another key difference is the price, as it costs significantly less than Saatva’s retail price.
Who Should Get the DreamCloud Classic Mattress?
- For those with tight budgets who are looking for a fantastic mattress
- Side sleepers and stomach sleepers, preferably with an average weight
- People who like to sleep on a firmer surface
- For back sleepers, the Premier upgrade is worth a try
Saatva vs. Purple
While other bed companies offer mattresses with a combination of features that are all too familiar to nearly every one of us, there’s one that makes it clear they are outstandingly unique from the rest. If you don’t already know by now, Purple is a mattress specialist that specializes in developing groundbreaking technology to further improve the person’s sleep quality. They’re best recognized for the state-of-the-art purple grid on their mattresses. Without much ado, let’s take a close look at the Purple Mattress, the company’s most famous product yet!
Despite the glaring differences in how they’re constructed, both the Purple Mattress and the Saatva Classic perform remarkably when it comes to cooling. Purple’s GelFlex Grid, which is a special design by the company, allows for air circulation within the mattress to keep the body cool.
They are bouncy enough to allow sleepers to move easily without any hesitation, and in many different ways. What’s particularly nice about each of them is how the high-grade materials build up a high-quality mattress that’s not just rightly firm, but also welcoming.
There are differences
Although the Purple and Saatva work in different ways, you might notice a difference in how they feel. The grid technology makes Purple feel more gel-like than Saatva’s firm, but still fluid feeling. The former also isolates motion better. Purple Mattresses are delivered in a box, which can cause unpleasant off-gassing.
Who should get the Purple Mattress?
- Sleepers under 230 lbs. They should apply sufficient pressure to activate GelFlex grid contouring capabilities
- Combination sleepers looking for a more flexible mattress than, say, the Saatva’s
- All-foam mattresses are preferred by hot sleepers
- People who sleep with their restless partners at night
Saatva vs.: A Summary
It’s important to identify your backup top choice if the Saatva is not the right match for you. In bullet form, we have summarized the main features of each of the four mattresses and helped you choose the best one for you.
Sleep Number (360 p5 Mattress)
- These are the key features
- Air bed adjustable with thick foam combination on top for great back pressure relief
- Better motion absorption due to how it’s constructed
- Buy the Sleep Number 360 p5 if:
- You have back issues, but prefer sleeping on a customizable mattress that you can operate in the palm of your hand
- You’re on a tight budget, or
- You’re not prepared to have a high-tech mattress to use at home
- These are the key features
- All-foam mattress of high quality that offers pressure relief throughout your body
- For those who sleep sideways, exceptional body contouring
- Buy the TEMPUR-Cloud if:
- You prefer memory foam above all else, but also appreciate getting the best pressure relief while it hugs your body
- Do NOT buy the TEMPUR-Cloud if:
- Hot temperatures can make it uncomfortable to sleep in.
- You shift positions often during your sleep
DreamCloud (DreamCloud Classic)
- The key features:
- It shares the same essential features of the Saatva Classic, but it is different because it’s a hybrid memory foam/innerspring.
- Standout cooling abilities and long-lasting durability
- Buy the DreamCloud Classic if:
- If you are looking for an innerspring option that is affordable and has the same features of the Saatva mattress, then this might be the right choice.
- Do NOT buy the DreamCloud Classic if:
- When you go to sleep, your position changes.
- You’re a heavy-weighted sleeper
Purple (Purple Mattress)
- The key features:
- Trademark GelFlex Grid foam layer designed to keep the body cool and efficiently supported
- Fluid and fluid feel that can be adjusted to changing movements
- Buy the Purple Mattress if:
- You want to explore using a one-of-a-kind and innovative mattress with much more enhanced body comfort and support
- You’re a heavyweight who sleeps on the stomach or sides, or
- You prefer the more traditional memory foam feel
Now that we’ve tackled everything so far about our competitors to the Saatva Mattress, the only thing we can do now is to help you find the answer to this pressing question: Is the Saatva still the best option for you?
Although the final answer is subjective, the Saatva Classic might be the best-suited option if you are:
- You may experience back, hip or joint pains. A mattress that is able to relieve the pressure and align your body will be a good choice.
- Hot temperatures are common for sleep, and can eventually cause discomfort if not treated.
You may also choose it if you prefer to have a mattress with:
- Customization possibilities
- the bouncy feel of an innerspring, or
- You have enough strength to last no matter what, even if you move around.
If any of these don’t apply, we suggest you check out our other options above!